Today, I’m sharing a kitchen hack that will elevate your dishes to a whole new level of flavor explosion: my go-to recipe for Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions. These vibrant little gems not only add a pop of color to your plate but also deliver a tangy punch that’ll make your taste buds dance with joy. Plus, they’re super easy to make – so let’s dive right in!
Why Pickled Red Onions?
Before we get into the recipe, let’s talk about why you need these pickled red onions in your life. These zesty wonders are like the secret ingredient that turns an ordinary meal into something extraordinary. They’re that missing puzzle piece that completes your salads, sandwiches, tacos, and more. Think of them as your kitchen’s flavor fairy – a touch of magic that takes your dishes from “meh” to “wow!”
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar (apple cider vinegar works too)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoons sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional flavor boosters: peppercorns, red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, fresh herbs
- Prepare the Onions: Start by slicing your red onion into thin, even strips. You can use a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer if you’re feeling fancy. Make sure to peel off the skin and remove the root end.
- Create the Pickling Liquid: In a medium saucepan, combine the apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. If you’re feeling adventurous, toss in some peppercorns, red pepper flakes, or garlic cloves to infuse even more flavor. Give everything a good stir and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Once the sugar and salt have dissolved, remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool slightly.
- Pack the Jars: While your pickling liquid is cooling, pack the sliced red onions into clean, sterilized glass jars. You can use one large jar or several small ones – it’s all about your preference. Don’t be shy – really fill those jars with those lovely onions.
- Pour and Pickle: Carefully pour the slightly cooled pickling liquid over the onions, making sure they’re completely submerged. This is where the magic starts to happen! If you’ve added any flavor boosters, make sure they’re distributed evenly among the jars.
- Seal and Store: Once you’ve poured in the pickling liquid, seal the jars tightly with their lids. Give the jars a gentle shake to make sure everything’s nicely mixed. Now, find a cozy spot in your fridge for these babies to work their magic. Let them hang out for at least an hour, but if you can wait, give them a day or two to really develop those flavors.
- Time to Enjoy: Congratulations, you’ve just created a jar of tangy, pickled perfection! These beauties will keep in your fridge for up to two weeks – if they last that long, that is. Pull them out whenever you want to add a burst of flavor to your dishes. They’re fantastic on salads, tacos, burgers, sandwiches, and so much more. The possibilities are endless!
And there you have it, my friends – a foolproof recipe for Quick and Easy Pickled Red Onions that will have your taste buds doing a happy dance. These little flavor bombs are about to become your kitchen’s new best friend, adding that extra oomph to your meals without breaking a sweat. So, why wait? Whip up a batch today and get ready to savor the tangy delight that is homemade pickled red onions.
Until next time, happy pickling and happy eating!
If you like this plant based recipe, you might enjoy Core and Rind too